- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Crop Science Courses
- Soil Science Courses
- Plant Breeding & Genetics Courses
- Why Study Crops?
- Why Study Soils?
- Current Students
- Scholarships, Financial Aid, & Other Funding
- Course Sites
- Research & Extension
- About Us
Jennifer G Kling
Professor/Senior Research, Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Plant Breeding and Genetics curriculum development and distance learning
- Breeding specialty crops (currently high oil oats) for niche markets in the Willamette Valley
- Develop improved cultivars of meadowfoam (Limnanthes alba Benth.), with better disease and pest resistance and higher oil yield, to increase the productivity and profitability of meadowfoam as a crop in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.
- Develop novel breeding approaches that increase the efficiency of selection and contribute to an understanding of the genetic basis for expression of important characteristics in meadowfoam.
- International Agriculture (maize)
Department of Crop and Soil Science
249 Crop Science BldgCorvallis, OR 97331
- Enhancing the Genetics and Productivity of the Oilseed Crop Meadowfoam
- Developing Spring Oat Cultivars with High Oil Content for the Willamette Valley
CROP 590 Experimental Design in Agriculture, Winter 2007-2015
CSS 490/590 Field Plot Technique, Winter 2003-2006
PBG 650 Advanced Plant Breeding and Quantitative Genetics, 2005-2015 (Alternate years)
CSS 405/505 Current Literature in Plant Genetics, Spring 2006
CSS 330 World Food Crops (online course), Spring 2003-2006
CSS 405 Specialty Crops for Niche Markets, Fall 2003
CSS 499/599 Issues in Sustainable Agriculture (distance course), 4 terms, 2001-2002
Professor – Senior Research (Sept. 2001 – present) OSU Crop and Soil Science Department
Visiting Scientist (Jan. 2001 – Sept. 2001) OSU Barley Genetics Project
Maize Breeder (1990-2000) and Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (1988-1990)
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, Nigeria
1988 Ph.D. in Genetics with minor in Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
1983 M.S. in Agronomy with emphasis in Plant Breeding, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
1980 B.S. in Crop Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Refereed Journals and Book Chapters
Cuesta-Marcos, A., J.G. Kling, A.R. Belcher, T. Filichkin, S.P. Fisk, R. Graebner, L. Helgerson, D. Herb, B. Meints, A.S. Ross, P.M. Hayes, and S.E. Ullrich. 2016. Barley, genetics and breeding. In H. Corke, J. Faubion, K. Seetheraman, and C. Wrigley (eds.), Encyclopedia of Food Grains 2nd ed. Elsevier Limited, Oxford, UK. In press
Slabaugh, M.B., L. Cooper, V.K. Kishore, S.J. Knapp, and J.G. Kling. 2015. Genes affecting novel seed constituents in Limnanthes alba Benth.: Transcriptome analysis of developing embryos and a new genetic map of meadowfoam. PeerJ 3: e915.
Blake, Victoria C., Jennifer G. Kling, Patrick M. Hayes, Jean-Luc Jannink, Suman R. Jillella, John Lee, David E. Matthews, Shiaoman Chao, Timothy J. Close, Gary J. Muehlbauer, Kevin P. Smith, Roger P. Wise, Julie A. Dickerson. 2012. The Barley Coordinated Agricultural Project genotype and phenotype resource. Plant Genome 5: 81–91.
Valesco, P., M.B. Slabaugh, R. Reed, J. Kling, V.K. Kishore, J.F. Stevens, and S.J. Knapp. 2011. Glucosinolates in the new oilseed crop meadowfoam: natural variation in Section Inflexae of Limnanathes, a new glucosinolate in L. floccosa, and QTL analysis in L. alba. Plant Breeding 130: 352–359.
Hamblin, M.T., T.J. Close, P.R. Bhat, S. Chao, J.G. Kling, K.J. Abraham, T. Blake, W.S. Brooks, B. Cooper, C.A. Griffey, P.M. Hayes, D.J. Hole, R.D. Horsley, D.E. Obert, K.P. Smith, S.E. Ullrich, G.J. Muehlbauer, and J.-L. Jannink. 2010. Population structure and linkage disequilibrium in U.S. barley germplasm: implications for association mapping. Crop Sci. 50: 556–566.
Yallou, C.G., A. Menkir, V.O. Adetimirin, and J.G. Kling. 2009. Combining ability of maize inbred lines containing genes from Zea diploperennis for resistance to Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth. Plant Breeding 128: 143–148.
Menkir, A., and J.G. Kling. 2007. Response to recurrent selection for resistance to Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth in a tropical maize population. Crop Sci 47: 674–682.