A limited number of graduate research assistantships are available to students through various projects in the department. Research assistants work on a part-time basis 12 months per year; all students must contribute to the sponsoring research project. Graduate research assistants do not pay tuition but are responsible for fees and health insurance. General information on eligibility rules for low-interest federal loans can be obtained from the Graduate School.

Non-U.S. citizen applicants may seek fellowships from their home country, or from international agencies and foundations. In order to obtain a student visa, international students must show evidence of sufficient financial resources to support their entire educational program at Oregon State. 

Group health insurance is available through Oregon State University.