- Defining the roles of microbial taxa in soil nitrogen turnover
- Integrating soil microbial community composition into soil survey as an index to soil health
- Turnover of proteins as a controller of soil nitrogen cycling
- Response of soil microbial communities to forest harvest
- Niche differentiation of nitrification in soils
Research projects are on N dynamics in forest ecosystems; use of stable isotopes for quantifying N cycle processes; ecology of Frankia in soil; functional diversity of soil microbial communities.